History of DCS
Dunmore Community School was founded in 1990 when Incarnate Word College and Saint Patrick’s Vocational School amalgamated.
In 1935 The Sisters of Incarnate Word founded a Novitate in Dunmore. In 1963 the Sisters opened Incarnate Word College in the Convent building. In 1967 the new school building was opened. The Incarnate Word Sisters continued to manage the College until 1979 when the order finally withdrew its Sisters from Ireland to San Antonio, Texas, USA. The Mercy Sisters, then took over the management of the College.
In 1953, Saint Patrick’s Vocational School, the first second level school in Dunmore, was opened. With each decade extensions were added. In 1962 the metalwork room was completed. In 1978 a recreational area and a newly equipped Secretarial Room was completed. In 1984 the final phase was added which consisted of three additional classrooms.
Work commenced on a new extension to Dunmore Community School and the upgrading of the existing building, in February of 1998, and the new school was officially opened in October 1999.
The school enrolment at the foundation of Dunmore Community School in 1990 was 390.