This year Dunmore Community School entered four teams into the Galway Final of the Enterprise Competition.
- Team 1: Cosy Mug Company designed mug cosies to keep that cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate piping hot!
- Team 2: Skitts designed a unique game for use in the Community Games Skittle competition
- Team 3: Halo Health Shots,created an immune-boosting beverage to lift the spirits of Irish teens.
- Team 4: Casa de Spice designed a unique gingerbread house which
werea huge hit at the Dunmore Christmas market last December.
This project fosters cross-curricular links within our school which we could not complete without the generosity of teachers. Ms Fallon oversaw all projects from initial brainstorming to the final product. Ms Grehan had a huge involvement in organising the Skitts game. She spotted the niche in the market at the Community Games competition last August. She got a team of students behind her and they are well on the way to success. Mr Burke gave generously of his time in the woodwork room. He designed a template to help cut out the standers for the game. We are indebted to him as he ensured the product was ready for the market. Ms McManus guided Casa de Spice to making and decorating the gingerbread houses in time to meet the Christmas market. Ms O’Reilly advised the Cosy Mug Company through the process of making the mug cosies. She also created logos, posters and bunting with her Art classes that really caught attention on the day of the competition.
We were delighted to bring home three prizes on the day of the Galway Final.
- Skitts won the Intermediate Category and they go on to represent Galway in the National Final in Croke Park on the 3rd of May.
- Halo Health Shots won Best Health Product.
- Ms Fallon won the teacher’s prize for the Best Educator.
Well done to all involved and a huge thank you to the mentors, Emily Corr, Tina Kelly and Liz McCarthy in the Adult class who guided the students through the many projects. They also attended on the day of the Galway Final.